All Clapotis all the time

(Tuesday, March 08, 2005 @ 9:39 PM)

Posted by Hello

Since I started this project, I haven't hardly been able to work on anything else. I did try to work on the baby afghan a couple of times, but I think I ripped as much (or at least nearly as much) as I crocheted.

Here's how far I'd gotten on that:

Posted by Hello

If it weren't for all the ripping and re-doing (and the lack of working on it out of frustration), I'm sure I could be done with the entire main panel by now, and be working on the edging.

So, about Clapotis... here's some progress shots:

Posted by Hello

I've gotten through 4 repeats of the straight rows, and I'm ready to drop the 5th stitch. I'm trying to decide whether to do so or not. Can you see the way the green has been pooling for about the last few inches? I really don't like. I'm also trying to figure out why it started pooling so strongly. It had been doing fine on the straight rows for a while, and then instead of the small staggered pooling, it suddenly started to stack up in wide stripes.

Would it help to rip back a few inches and redo it, or would it just turn out the same?

Also, I still haven't come to the end of the first 200 yd. ball. I don't know how much farther it will go, but this is longer than I realized it would. The other thing I could think to do would be to rip back to where I switched from increase rows to straight rows, and do another repeat... or take one out (although I think I'd rather have it wider than narrower... it's only about 14" or 15" wide now, so it's narrower than the pattern... I would think that would mean that I'm not using as much yarn per row, and I could end up with a really long piece, so widening it ought to be okay, right?). I don't know whether that would fix the problem or not... it could still end up pooling weird.

If you have any recommendations, I'd sure appreciate them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liesel - Love the colors in your Clapotis. What yarn are you using? The pooling doesn't bother me at all; I'm not sure I would have noticed had you not pointed it out.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone told me this and I thought I'd pass it on: at the end of a row cut the yarn about 6 inches from the end, then rejoin the yarn at the beginning of the next row. That way it interrupts the color sequence a bit. Hope that helps!

- MJ

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used Lorna's Laces Shepard Sport for my Clapotis and probably only had about a yard left over after it was all said and done. Of course I made mine on the wrong size needles too...
If you start getting too worried, just start doing the decrease rows. I love the colors you are using.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home