I knit myself to sleep

(Monday, February 28, 2005 @ 7:41 AM)

I cast on last night for Clapotis (actually, I did so a few times). I got through the set-up rows, and about 2 1/2 repeats of the increase rows. Here's a couple of progress photos:

Posted by Hello

Posted by Hello

Notice anything unexpected?

I am not using stitch markers. A BIG thanks to Stephanie for the idea. Basically, you purl the stitches you're going to drop... actually (and I'm not sure if this was what she meant, but this is how I did it), you do a ribbed row... purled on the front and knit on the back. Here's the details, if anyone wants to do the same:

On the WS row after adding a yo, make sure you knit the yo.
On the RS rows, p1 (instead of k1) in between each set of k1 tbl
On the rest of the WS rows, knit all stitches that were purled on the front

It's that easy, and you can keep track of the stitches to drop w/o having to use any stitch markers. SLICK!

Here's a pic of the back:

Posted by Hello

This is a really cool pattern! Once you get past the set up rows, it is really easy to do, and actually fairly easy to remember... even with the modifications I made. I didn't want to stop knitting on this at all... in fact, I worked on it, until I was tinking as much as I was knitting because I was so tired I couldn't count any more... and then I set it aside and dozed on the couch a little before I could get up and go to bed. It's a fantastically engrossing pattern, and I haven't even gotten to the dropped stitches yet. I can totally see more of these in my future!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a genius. Even with my rather sketchy talk about it, you have devined exactly what I was doing.
Very clever.

steph
(Yarn harlot)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! There's nothing worse than dropping the wrong stitch - oops! I cannot wait to see how it turns out!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your suggestion. I've just started Clapotis also. Do you notice that the slipped stiches at the beginning of the rows look large on the knit side edge? The purl edge looks excellent. But the knit side looks too loose for me. Is that just something I'm doing worng? I did start the scarf at least 6 times until I got it. (G)

Looking forward to reading your Blog.

Sandy

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about ebay selling businessand wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about **keyword** ebay selling business so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

/ blog has all kinds of really cool stuff in it. www.christmas-mall-online.com

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home