One down...

(Saturday, February 19, 2005 @ 9:11 PM)

I finished my first fuzzy foot:

Posted by Hello

I'm so glad I picked a felting project for my first sock, because I did not do well. This is the sock's good side.

I put a piece of white paper in for contrast so you can see a little better... here's a closeup of the decreases on this side:


Good Side Posted by Hello

And here's a closeup of the decreases on the other side:


Bad Side Posted by Hello

As you can see, the decreases on this second side leave A LOT to be desired. It's also extremely evident to me where the needles came together. I tightened my stitches up as much as possible... they were good and snug as I knit them. But, as I came around to that same spot, and all the weight of the sock and the other DPN's was hanging off of just a stitch or two, those stitches stretched out, and that's where the looseness comes from ( I'm not sure how much that would be eliminated by lighter needles and yarn). I couldn't figure any good way around that... any advice would be much appreciated.

As of now, I'm afraid to even bother with real socks or mittens or hats done on DPN's. Maybe I should try the 2 circs method... at least that way, there's only 2 joins, instead of 3 or 4. Or, maybe I should give up and buy some Clover mini-circular needles. Of course, you do still need the DPN's to do the toe decreases, and probably the heel flap, but it might save some frustration.

I have cast on for the second sock and knit an inch or so on it. So, even though I'm a bit discouraged, I haven't totally given up. Which isn't to say that the second one is looking to improve upon the problems of the first, but I DO want these.

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

I have a question for you about the way you use hello. How do you do multiple pictures in a single post? Thanks in advance!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll get the hang of doing decreases on the other side as you knit some more. Keep it up, don't give up. It's like me and cables. The more you do it, the better you'll get.

- MJ

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm learning how to knit socks now. We're using size 3 12-inch circular needles. I've been told that we will continue to use the 12-inch circular for the heel and that we won't be switching to DPNs until the toe.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home