Stash enhancement, take 1

(Thursday, February 24, 2005 @ 10:13 AM)

Look what I got in the mail:

Posted by Hello

I've wanted to make my own My So Called Scarf ever since I saw Stacey wearing hers at the Knit & Crochet Out in October. The colors in this yarn are just like a watercolor painting... they remind me very much of a Monet. This is definitely one of my favorite yarns EVER!

Posted by Hello
This is Araucania Nature Wool. I bought it to make the Backyard Leaves scarf from Scarf Style. I wanted something that was mottled when knit up, rather than just a solid color... but I did want it to be all greens, and not a fully variegated colorway. This does that. That being said, I am a little disappointed in it, because it doesn't look like the same color as the swatch on the site:

Posted by Hello

It's more Kelly green than the swatch makes it look. I'm not sure I would've bought it if I'd seen it in person first. I'll probably still use it, because I haven't yet found a better option for a reasonable price (occassionally handpaintedyarn.com has a green that I like but it's just as likely to look different on my monitor as the Nature Wool did), and, I've already spent the money on it. If I don't use all the yarn for the scarf (I think I should have a bit left over), maybe I'll knit up a swatch and see if I can get closer to what I had in mind by overdying it. If I still don't love the color, I'm sure this scarf would make a really nice gift.

I got them from Rosie's Yarn Cellar. I couldn't have more nice things to say about this company. They shipped fast, and there is no flat shipping fee... just per-skein amounts on some of their yarns... the shipping for my order totalled only $2.00. Woo-Hoo! Way better than I could do elsewhere.

I also picked up some of this:

Posted by Hello

To make this:

Posted by Hello

GORGEOUS crocheted afghan for my brand new niece who was born this weekend, 5 weeks early. I love the feel of this yarn. Some reviews say it blooms when you wash it, which doesn't bode too well for the stitch definition, but I'm willing to chance it, because it just feels so good, anda preemie just ought to have soft stuff next to their skin.

3 Comments:

Blogger noricum said...

You could try tea-staining the green yarn...

12:12 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Oooh ... can't wait to see your-so-called-scarf! Me, too, I really want to make one.

And, byw, Caron Simply Soft is definitely one of my favorite acrylics, and I think it holds up okay, and I definitely love it for baby knits! :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Leisel said...

Andrea... that's probably what I will end up trying.

Thanks, Jenifer... My So Called Scarf SHOULD end up looking just like the one I linked to. I have the same colorway she used. I had thought about using the Bramble colorway instead, but the online swatches are reminding me of Christmas colors right now, and don't want to feel limited about when I can wear it.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home