Interesting...

(Monday, January 24, 2005 @ 1:34 AM)

I just got an email newsletter from Lion Brand yarns. Usually these come with links to new free patterns, but this time, they're rolling out a line of patterns for purchase.

I don't fault them for having some patterns for sale... it's not like all the other yarn brands out there give all the patterns away that are designed to use their yarns. But at least make sure they have something special that makes it worth purchasing! Most of them were really just basic patterns (like the two rectangles seamed together that make a poncho) you can find free on their site or elsewhere that happened to use their yarn. Some of their free patterns show much more innovation.

The one that really got me was the Northern Lights Wrap. They want you to pay $2.50 for the pattern, when they gave you enough information that anyone who can knit and purl can recreate it without the pattern... it's stockinette with a garter stitch border that uses one strand each of two yarns (6 balls of their Moonlight Mohair and 4 balls Trellis) and it has finished dimensions of 12"x70". I've been knitting for about 6 months (if that) and really haven't finished too many things, and I could just about do this one in my sleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger noricum said...

Wow, you're right! At first I thought you just had to pay if you wanted them to publish a personalized booklet for you. Crazy! There's a sucker born every day... :P

7:46 AM  
Blogger Cheryl:) said...

I felt the same way you did! Why pay for a pattern for what is essentially a giant SCARF?? Wonder what that's all about.

11:51 AM  
Blogger lucia said...

Lion Brand also seems to be reorganizing their web site to make it a bit harder to get to the free patterns. Plus, a recent email linked you to what's in one of the recent magazines.

I suspect they are simply starting to charge as a policy. Most of their patterns are very, very basic. If the pattern doesn't fit on a little tearsheet, they often don't publish it.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the patterns. I don't knit, I crochet, and its the same with that. Any good knitter/crochet with basic skills can do most of those patterns without a pattern =)
Melissa
thecraftybutterfly.blogspot.com

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home