How do you do it?

(Thursday, December 09, 2004 @ 9:32 AM)

First off, before I forget, thank you so much Mary, Lizz, Katie, Bogie and Shannon for taking the time to direct me to helpful places.

I wish I could show you pictures, but I can't. The projects I'm working on now are SECRET.

I finished knitting secret project #1 from the Emilie yarn. I just need to weave in ends and wash and block it.

Now I've started secret project #2 (I'm using the Last of the Summer Berries for this one). This is my first ever knit in the round with DPN's. ARGH! This is so hard! Maybe it's just that the first row is hard (I hate knitting into the cast on row... it's so much harder than the rest of the knitting), and maybe it's that I have to use metal DPN's with teeny tiny yarn (it's about the thickness of #10 crochet thread), I dunno, but if this whole project goes like this, I'm going to asphyxiate. I keep having to remind myself to breathe, I'm concentrating so hard on it. So, how do people do this without going insane or passing out from not breathing?

It doesn't help that I'm doing k2p2 ribbing. I don't mind purling (even though I'm much better at knitting), but going back and forth between the two I find difficult. I can't get into a rhythm.

I feel so incredibly awkward. When I went up the the Boulder Knit & Crochet Out, there was a lady doing a hat on (fatter wood) DPN's. It all seemed to work so smoothly for her. I want to be that good. And I want it to be now, so that I can actually get this project done in time. Maybe I should just give up and go buy things. I dunno. I really wanted to do something SPECIAL, and I bought the yarn. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheer up! It just takes practice to feel comfortable with DPNs. I do agree that wood or bamboo needles make it easier, but it can be done with metal and all it takes is practice, practice, practice. You'll be itching to make some socks with DPNs in no time. =)

Katie
http://kjknits.typepad.com
kkjohnsATbellsouthDOTnet

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll do fine. Just need a little practice. The only tip I'd give is when you are working with DPNs make sure the first and last stitch on each needle is pulled a little tighter than the rest to prevent laddering (gaps between your stitches that resemble little ladders). I've also seen suggestions to knit into the back loop of the first stitch or to rotate your work occasionally so that the transistion isn't always between the same stitches. Whichever works best for you will be best.
DPN's have always felt awkward to me, though after a while you get "into the groove" and they aren't so bad. I agree that the first row is the most awkward.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Hi there, found your blog through the ribbycardikal. I started on dpns by trying to make socks and found it quite awkward, so ended up first knitting a hat out of 4.5mm dpns, then a thick sock, then a sock with 2.75mm (#2) dpns. This order made working with the teeny tiny ones much easier. It took a few tries to get the hang of how to hold them well and how to get the first few rows going without twisting but after that its easy to get into a rhythm. Tanya http://crazybikerchick.blogspot.com

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - the resident knothead, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on easy wood working project I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for easy wood working project. Should the need ever arise where you need information on easy wood working project then drop by for a look.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home