HELP. ME. PLEASE.

(Saturday, December 04, 2004 @ 7:55 PM)

I've been knitting this secret object (sorry I can't show pictures), and I managed to miscount the rows, so I had to frog it back.

I SERIOUSLY need frogging lessons. I tried putting one of the needles through the stitches on the row I was going to frog back to. I managed to put it in backwards (how do you tell which row goes which way? AND, I also managed to pick them up twisted. I did notice this before I started to knit again, so I twisted each stitch before I knit it... the wrong way, so now instead of doing waves, the yarn on the row does loops. I also don't know, and may never know, whether I have the first stitch of the row turned the right way. Ends of rows are weird anyways.

So, now I have to go back and re-do it. I'm doing that the slow way this time... stitch by stitch (luckily, on this, there's not a whole lot of stitches).

I've tried other ways of frogging, and the stitch by stitch one is the only one that I seem to be able to not muck up on.

So, are there any online tutorials on how to frog knitting properly? (Frogging with crochet was so, so much easier. Since there's only one stitch on the hook at any time, the worst you can do is go back a few extra stitches. With knitting, there's always the potential of having it work it's way out to the point you just plain have to start over. Talk about scary!)

And, are there any Yahoo groups or message boards where you can post questions and have people answer? I haven't been able to find any, but maybe that's just because there's so many Yahoo groups that have knit or knitting in the description that I can't find the one or two that are like that.

TIA

GOING. NOW. TO. BEAT. MY. HEAD. AGAINST. SOMETHING. HARD.

Update:

I knit it twisted again after I frogged that row stitch by stitch. I frogged two more rows to get out of the trap I'd set myself, and I think my problem was that I had picked it up right, and didn't need to twist it after all. So now I'm back on track. What a pain though.

Seriously... I can't mess anything else up... ever.

Oh, and tiramisu is much more fun than beating one's head against something hard.

I'm still hoping for an email group or message board where I can ask questions, though, so if you know of any, please, PLEASE let me know.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a pretty new knitter myself but I thought the info on this page may offer some help, especially the last example.

http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit8a.htm

Also, I've read somewhere that you thread a yarn needle with a contrasting color yarn and pick up one side of each stitch on the row below the one you need to fix. Then you just rip back to the row of knitting that is waiting on the yarn. Then you can place the stitches on the yarn onto a knitting needle and continue.

I'm sorry I'm not any better at describing this idea. If I can find a link to this method, I'll post it here.

Hope this helps some :-)

Mary

11:25 PM  
Blogger Lizz said...

The Knitty Coffeeshop is a great place to ask questions everyone is really friendly and supportive.. Here's the address http://knittyboard.com/

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a good site with photos. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TT.html Knitty has a lot of other good tips in the techniques column from each issue. BTW, I use another yarn threaded on a yarn needle instead of another knitting needle when I pick up the row of stitches to be ripped back to.

Katie
kkjohns AT bellsouth DOT net
http://kjknits.typepad.com

5:47 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

When you put a needle through the stitches on the row you want to frog back to, use a circular needle. That way, you have a needle on each end, so you can knit the RS or WS after you've ripped back. Also, use a smaller sized circular needle--so if you're knitting on 8's, use a 6--it's easier to thread the needle through the stitches.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

If you're willing to join Livejournal, they have a big knitting community that's pretty great - here... as well as a number of smaller knitting communities (novice_knitters, middle_knitters, advanced_knit, knittingpretty, etc...)

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home