Stash enhancement

(Monday, November 08, 2004 @ 10:26 AM)

We have a new (huge) JoAnn's here in town. They had their grand opening over this last week, and I knew from dropping in at their soft opening that they were selling Homespun for $3.99, so I went to get the supplies for a project I want to do. I've been REALLY wanting to make this:


Fringed poncho Posted by Hello

If I were to make it out of the yarn called for in the pattern, I would have to spend $250 on yarn alone! Sorry, but that is so far out of the question as to be laughable. I could easily buy 5 really nice items of clothing (or more!) with that amount of money. I wouldn't even spend that much on this if it were already knit for me. Luckily for me, Lion brand Homespun is the same guage, and is much, much less expensive. Closer to $50, but that's still fairly expensive, so I've been waiting for a sale so I could get it at least a little less than that. They only had 8 skeins of the color I chose, and I needed 10, but I bought them all in hopes that with it being a variegated yarn, different lots won't end up being differently colored enough for it to be a problem. Oh, and I just saw Michael's ad, and they're selling Homespun for $3.97 this week. Maybe (MAYBE) it won't be so hard to get the same dye lot after all. Here's the colorway I'll be using:


Yarn for poncho Posted by Hello

I do wish Homespun came in a color more like that of the yarn used in the pattern (I'm really drawn to the blue-grey), but they don't. Other color options of the Homespun that I liked were less neutral, and I decided that would mean I wouldn't get to wear the poncho as much.

And of course, I had to get a bunch more knitting supplies to go along with my plan to make this pattern:


Knitting notions Posted by Hello

I got both straight (metal) and circular (plastic) needles in the size called for in the pattern, as well as cable stitch holders in various sizes, and some dpns to do the i-cord for my Booga bag.

And, they were having a 40% off sale on all their jewlery making supplies, so I bought some beads and such to make more stitch markers:

Bead stash enhancement Posted by Hello

I'm thinking I might try selling some on eBay. I wonder if that would fly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Leisel.

Thanks for the heads up on the L & M hooks. Appreciate it.

Love your blog! Very fun! That's soo cool that you are doing stitch markers. Let me know if you are going to sell them on E-bay. I would definitely buy some. I'm the B in beginner when it comes ot knitting, but I have high hopes. LOL.

Jenn
CrochetCrafts

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea to use a substitute yarn...Sometimes I wonder if pattern designers even take a minute to figure the cost of the design...C'mon like who can afford a poncho that costs $200+...

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No boob jobs breast enhancers work fast and eliminate the need for surgery.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home