Ay, matey, I be the one-eyed knitting pirate...

(Thursday, October 07, 2004 @ 11:33 PM)

Ok, really, it's the crocheting pirate, but that doesn't roll off the tongue nearly as well.

My left eye is terribly swollen.

So, I posted about the lovely, soft angora yarn I got. Today I started working it into a scarf. I had to frog it out and start over a bunch, because I'm sort of making it up as I go along, because the keyhole scarf pattern I was planning on using calls for thicker yarn, a much too large crochet hook, and has the slit going the opposite way from how I want it to go (It's definitely easier to work going the other way, but since when do I do things the easy way.

So, anyways, I'm working it a lot, and somewhere along the line, I realize that my eyes are REALLY watering. There's also filmy stuff moving across it in front of my vision, so I start rubbing my eyes trying to get rid of it.

Here's the thing... I'm allergic to rabbits. No, I didn't forget that... I just was hoping it wouldn't be a factor. I have a sweater with angora in it, and it doesn't bother me, and I touched the hank of yarn and rolled it into a ball before, all without significant problems. But, I think the amount of touching involved when I'm knitting and crocheting is just too much for my poor confused immune system.

Hopefully, my little scarf won't bother me when it's all done, and I'm just wearing it around my neck... because I so want this little luxury.

I did get about 6 to 8 inches of it finished (it's 3 or 4 inches wide). I didn't measure it, and I'm not pulling it back out now to do so.

Of course, I'm thinking this might mean I shouldn't make these for all the ladies in my family like I wanted to (who wouldn't love me if wrapped their necks in such softy goodness???). Doesn't necessarily mean I won't... but I probably shouldn't. That, and the fact that the price of the hanks went up from $20 to $27 within the last 2 weeks at both places I can buy it from. That's not a small bump in price... it's a 30% increase! YIKES!

*sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home