I LOVE CROCHETING!

(Friday, October 08, 2004 @ 11:07 PM)

I like all kinds of ways to create things on my own, but I really have to say that crocheting is at the top of my list right now.

One thing I truly love about crocheting is that it makes me feel feminine. My hands look so elegant while I do it. The yarn/string slips effortlessly through my fingers, and voila! something beautiful emerges.

I want to feel the same way about knitting. There are tons of incredibly beautiful things that I want to knit (you stinky knitters are the ones that introduced me to the world of gorgeous yarns, and my pocketbook loathes you). So far, though, knitting makes me feel like a klutz. Between my trouble keeping the tension anything close to even, and the stitches wanting to either all slip off the needles or stick in place, and the weird way I've ended up holding my knitting needles to make it work for me (I balance the bottom of my left needle on my tummy while I use my right hand to work the right needle and my left hand to handle the yarn and keep the stitches on the left needle in place) that just looks and feels awkward and anything but feminine... I just don't get the same feeling from knitting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My main problem with knitting is speed...I'm so slow, it boggles my brain. And that slowness just ends up with me being frustrated, so I only knit on occasion. And I sometimes balance my needle on my stomach too...lol.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Vera said...

I crocheted for over 30 years before I learned to knit last year. I'm glad I can do both, but I still crochet so much faster than I knit.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about knitting as you do about crocheting. I've been knitting for a couple of years now and really enjoy it. (I still use my tummy when I work with straight needles too, if it makes you feel any better. :D) I feel really clumsy and silly when I crochet though. Eveything that is supposed to be square turns out with a tringle where there shouldn't be one. I figure I'll keep plugging away at it and I'll get better (I hope).
The bears you are making for your bear-along are tempting me to get better at crochet though.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home